Kurt Vonnegut in 2002

Here's an amazing lecture titled "How to Get Job Like Mine," given by Vonnegut upon receiving an honorary degree from Albion College in 2002. I tried to see Vonnegut speak one two occasions during his final years, not too long after this lecture. He had to cancel both appearances, due to health troubles if I remember correctly. I'll forever regret never seeing him in person. I picked one of his nonfiction books off the shelf a few weeks ago to peruse (I think it was his final work, A Man Without A Country). His Midwestern wit and lucid insight, his kindness and depth and wonderment... he's surely up in heaven now (watch part 2 below if you don't immediately get that joke).

[I have to say, though, I disagree with him regarding semicolons; I use them a lot.]









Comments

Popular Posts